The Financial Express | By: feonline | New Delhi | August 11, 2015 |
Sundar Pichai has been named CEO of Google by the company’s founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
Page, in a blog post, announced the formation of the new parent company Alphabet, of which he will be the CEO and Google co-founder Sergey Brin will be its President. “Our company is operating well today, but we think we can make it cleaner and more accountable. So we are creating a new company, called Alphabet. I am really excited to be running Alphabet as CEO with help from my capable partner, Sergey, as President,” Page said. Sundar Pichai, 43 is a Chennai native who went to IIT Kharagpur and later to Stanford and Wharton.
Below are 10 things you may want to know about Sundar Pichai:
1. Sundar Pichai was born in 1972. His father was an electrical engineer with a British firm called GEC.
2. Pichai was the captain of his high school cricket team, and took the team to win the Tamil Nadu regional cricket tournament.
3. He earned his Bachelor of Engineering degree from IIT, Kharagpur in Metallurgical Engineering. He holds an M.S. from Stanford University and an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
4. Pichai worked in engineering and product management at Applied Materials and in management consulting at McKinsey & Company.
5. He joined Google in 2004, where he led the product management and innovation efforts for a suite of Google’s client software products.
6. He went on to oversee the development of different apps like Gmail and Google Maps.
7. Pichai added Android to the Google products.
8. He serves as a Member of Board of Advisors at Ruba, Inc.
9.He has also been the director of Jive Software.
10. He was initially appointed Product Chief by then CEO Larry Page on 24 October and finally appointed as CEO of Google on 10 August, 2015. – Courtesy