Amita Pandey | January 21, 2016 | Prepsure |
Union Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers decided to set up 100 CIPET in India in order to meet the need of skilled manpower in the petrochemical sector.
Union Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers decided to set up 100 Central Institutes for Plastic Engineering and Technology (CIPET) in India. The decision was taken in order to meet the need of skilled manpower in the petrochemical sector or plastic processing industry. The announcement in this regard was made by Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers Ananth Kumar at the occasion of National Awards for Technology in Innovation in Petrochemicals and downstream Plastics Processing Industry in New Delhi on January 20, 2016. Currently, CIPETs are present at 28 locations in India. Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) recognizes CIPET as a scientific and research organisation in the area of Plastics Engineering and Technology. Petrochemicals are produced from different chemical compounds, specifically from hydrocarbons which are extracted from crude oil and natural gas.
- The Plastic processing industry is highly fragmented in India
- The Plastic processing industry in India consists of tiny, small, medium and large scale units.
- 75% of the plastic processing units in India are operated through small scale sectors of India which consumes 25% of the total polymer consumption
- In India there is 55,000 plastic processing units present both in organized and unorganized sector
- The Plastic processing industry also consumes recycled plastic, which constitutes about 30% of total consumption
- There are about 2000 fibre processors in Plastic processing industry among which 80% are present in Small Scale Industry
Petrochemical industry is one of the crucial industries for the development of manufacturing sector as well the economic growth in India. The important areas for the Plastic processing industry include modern farming through plasticulture, packaging for processed foods and consumer non-durables, plastics for automobiles and consumer durables, infrastructure development by using cost effective plastics and coming up with new products for telecommunications and information technology services sector. – Courtesy