The Hindu Business Line | Chennai, July 22 | |
Cambridge English initiative helps job-seekers find the right career fit
That engineering is no longer the default career choice for the lakhs of students leaving school every year is obvious from the dwindling number of applications to engineering colleges. In Tamil Nadu alone, the number of students who applied for engineering courses through Anna University in academic year 2016-17 has dropped to 1,33,000 from 1,54,238 the previous year. The huge number of engineering colleges, set up in response to growing demand over the last few decades, may be one reason for this. The other issue is employability, with top managements of corporates and PSUs finding most engineering graduates unable to adequately translate academic learnings to on-the-job competence.
Vital factors that make for better ‘employability’ are language strength and good communication skills. A new effort to address this comes from CampustoWork (ctw), an initiative of Cambridge English Language Assessment, of Cambridge University. Cambridge English has, for over 20 years now, conducted training programmes in schools across India, helping students learn the English language in a professional way. In a related activity, the Campustowork.org portal brings together corporates and educational institutions to match candidates who possess the right qualifications with the jobs most suitable for them. Connecting the talented young students with organisations that are the best fit for them is difficult for institutions. Employers too face the challenge of recruiting candidates with the right mix of technical and communication skills. Campustowork provides institutions a free platform to showcase their strengths as partners from where employers can hire the right candidates. TK Arunachalam, Regional Director, South Asia, Cambridge English Language Assessment, says: “In just the first two weeks since it opened, still in its beta version, 101 companies signed up on the portal, more than the number of colleges that were on board!
Smaller firms on board
The bulk of these are not big consumer goods or e-commerce companies or IT majors but small and medium entities that see value in the name behind a portal such as campustowork.” Now, a few months later, 142 corporates and 119 educational institutions are registered. Some of the companies are American Express, Pramati Technologies and Transformers and Rectifiers India. Among the institutions are Sathyabama University, Chennai and Birla Institute of Management Technology, Bhubaneshwar. Many of the companies, says Arunachalam, do not recruit from campuses directly but want their brands to be promoted and see themselves as important recruiters too, on par with an Infosys or a TCS. Their potential hires need not be from the IIMs or IITs either. “Such companies are fine with hiring from the Tier 2 and 3 colleges, as long as the candidate is suitable for the job,” he says, adding: “The institutions signed up with include arts and science colleges, and we plan to include skill development centres too.” – Courtesy
Campustowork Advantage to Corporate Organisations
Cambridge English presents Campustowork — the perfect solution to simplify your recruitment process and heighten efficiency while enhancing your organisation profile with the educational Institutions. As all recruiters are aware, pressure during campus recruitment season is not limited to the students. HR teams have the overwhelming challenge of finding suitable candidates from an ocean of eager, qualified graduates. The real concern, however, is finding the right mix of technical and communication skills for the positions at hand.
As a leader in education, we urge you to capitalise on our association with over 500 leading institutions and 200,000 candidates with International English language certification.
- Free One-click access to a qualified talent pool from over 500 institutions across the region
- Post job ads, highlighting specific skills and communication level requirements and receive instant responses from institutions
- Customise your search and shortlist institutions that have candidates with requisite skill sets for the job
- Candidates pre-qualified based on their communication skills
- Select the right talent today to save future training and recruitment costs
- Connect with campus placement officers with ease
- Benefit from a streamlined campus recruitment process
Campustowork Advantage to Institutions
Connecting Institutions to the corporate world!
Every institution of higher education has a pool of talented, young students who are ready to go out into the corporate world with the right communication skills. However, connecting with the best corporate organisations who could recruit these students might sometimes be a challenge. Campustowork connects your institution with employers across the world. As leaders in higher education, we realise that you are always seeking opportunities to place your students in the best companies. Campustowork provides you a free platform to position your institution as a preferred partner for recruitment with key employers.
- Find easy and direct access to a large network of companies who may not visit all educational institutions for recruitment
- View registered companies from various industries who recognise Cambridge qualifications
- Receive job alerts and view and search for jobs suitable for your students using specific criteria
- Share your students’ English language skills and other key performance data with employers
- Cambridge English Preparation centres will have badges to simplify Employer search
- Enhance your institution’s profile with employers by posting key events and activities