NATIONAL CONVENTION on DIGITAL INITIATIVES FOR HIGHER EDUCATION
9th July 2017 – Action Plan 17-by-17, (17 points to be achieved by all the Vice Chancellors by Dec 2017)
1. Approve the courses on offer: The list of courses which are being offered for the coming Semester is available on http://www.swayam.gov.in . All VCs and Heads of Institutions are requested to take approval of the Competent Authority (Academic Council/Senate) for these courses so that students can opt for them, and seek transfer of credits.
2. Publicise the courses: The SWAYAM courses shall be publicised by printing posters, WhatsApp messages, Facebook posts and Twitter accounts of the University. The objective is to reach as many people as possible so that they can get benefited by these courses.
3. Prepare new courses: If there are talented teachers in the Universities who are willing toplace their course on SWAYAM, they should be encouraged. Such proposals may besent to the National Coordinator for approval and for providing funding to prepare thecourses.
4. Retrain teachers: All teachers may be asked to use the SWAYAM courses during their own teaching process so that we can have a blended learning process. The flipped classroom model, where the SWAYAM videos are seen at home, and there is a discussion in the class would help in improving the quality of learning.
5. Monitoring Cell: Every University should have a Digital Learning Monitoring Cell which reviews the current use of these digital resources and suggests way to improving their utilisation further in the university and the affiliated institutions.
SWAYAM Prabha DTH channels
6. Buy Free Dish for accessing SWAYAM Prabha Channels: Every VC may instruct buying of the DD Free Dish from the market (costs about Rs. 1400 one-time cost only) and configure these channels in their office first; and later install in as many class-rooms as possible. Mandate other affiliated colleges: The same message may be given to all the affiliated institutions for setting up these channels and operationalising them immediately.
7. Orient the teachers: VCs may hold orientation sessions for all the teachers so that they see and use these channels while teaching their courses.
National digital library
8. Join the NDL: All institutions and the affiliated colleges may immediately join the National Digital Library at https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in/. This will help students to access more than 80 lakh digital resources at no cost. Universalise access: Pl ensure that all the students log-in and join the NDL. While doing the class work/assignments, they may be asked to use these resources.
9. Digitise your libraries: All books in the libraries may be digitised and shared with the NDL at IIT Kharagpur so that it would add to the digital resources and there is greater sharing of the digital resources by all institutions.
National Academic Depository
10. Join the NAD: Every institution should join the NAD which hold all the certificates digitally. All the past certificates/degrees/diplomas issued should also be uploaded on to the NAD. For more details, please see https://cvl.nad.co.in/NAD/home.action
Other digital initiatives
11. Digital campus: All campus processes like admissions, academic calendar, attendance, assessments, result declaration, administration, pay roll, financial and such other processes shall be computerised.
12. Smart Campus: Every campus shall plan for efficient and economical use of water, electricity and waste. Use of solar power and water recycling systems may be planned for, as they would bring sustainability and savings in the long run.
13. Clean campus: Every campus shall participate in the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan and achieve clean campus that has clean toilets, systems for solid/liquid waste management. There will be swachhata rankings of all institutions and the best institutions would be
14. National Digital Payment Mission: Every institution should move towards a complete digital payment system in their campus covering all transactions by the institution. The digital payment modes like BHIM App should be introduced to all students and commercial establishments on the campus, including the canteens.
15. Unnat Bharat Abhiyaan: Every institution to adopt atleast 5 villages and help in translating their knowledge for the use of the rural poor.
16. Innovation drives: Students may be encouraged to think out-of-the-box and arrive at solutions that are innovative. For this competitions may be organised for all students covering various areas. Every institution should try to participate in the hackathons that are being organised by various agencies, apart from Govt. Planning
17. Plan for future: Every institution should plan for the future. They should constitute a group within the campus for preparing the following:
a. A 15-year vision: to determine where the institution would like to be.
b. A 7-year strategic plan: to work out medium term plans to reach there
c. A 3-year action plan: for immediate improvement of the quality of learning.
Click here to download the circular (3 pages, pdf) : www.aicte-india.org/downloads/17by17.pdf